I don’t know why but I seem to be posting a lot about my predictions lately. No particular reason for this, just that things are starting to come true. Anyway, one of my predictions for this year is that AOL will buy Technorati. However, Michael Arrington of TechCrunch thinks that it’ll be Yahoo! and some people believe so as well.
Mike does have a good reason for his statement (read the post), however, I still believe it’ll be AOL. Here are my reasons:
- AOL has started to get into the game. They bought Weblogs, Inc. and very recently Truveo.
- Technorati sounds like it’s something AOL has the budget to pay for.
- They need it! They don’t have a blog search so far, and if they’re wanting to get in the game, they need Technorati.
- When I think interface, I think AOL and Technorati compliment each other.
- Jason Calacanis (now of AOL) likes Technorati and thinks they have a bright future ahead.
- Jason and Dave Sifry (CEO of Technorati) took a lovely picture and notice Jason’s Technorati sticker.
- Ok, now it’s getting plain stupid and I’m running out of reasons. So let this be a reason.
- Lastly, back in July, AOL and Technorati teamed up for Live 8 coverage.
It will definitely be interesting to see how it turns out. Of course, the day some company acquires Technorati or even thinks about it, I’ll cover it before anything (even a Microsoft-Yahoo! acquisition).