One of the things I've decided I'll do a lot less of this year is self-posting (i.e. posting about self) — only when it's truly needed or a lot has happened and I feel like writing a good catch-up update will I do it. And unfortunately, this is one of those times, so please bear with me.
One of things I've been tinkering with in the last few days is the whole layout and design of this site. As the traffic has nearly tripled in the last few weeks or so, I think it's become much more important to keep the image flowing. If you've been reading the RSS feed and haven't checked out the main homepage for a while, I suggest you quickly have a peak. You will notice quite a few things, amongst which:
- More glossy and shiny in places
- Some items from the sidebar (blogroll, archives, etc) gone, gone, gone.
- Post-formatting slightly changed — title font, mouse rollovers, date style, etc.
- Pages! Archives, Advertise, Conact, About. More on this below.
- Sponsors section! More on this below.
I think all the changes have a good positive impact on the site, or at least the feedback I've received so far tells me.
When I re-designed this site back in May, one of the things I left out was the idea of pages or having sections of the site. I think it adds greater depth and makes the navigation and finding-out-how-to-do-what much much easier. So here are the pages I either added or modified largely from the previous version (all visible in the top-header)
- About – About me, about rev2.org, about Web 2.0
- Contact – if you're looking to get your product or service reviewed, a handy little form is available on that page. Alternatively, my e-mail address .
- Advertise – This is the big one. I've recently started taking in sponsors/advertisers, and this page has the details on how to become one.
- Archives – I decided to remove this section in the sidebar and make its own page for it. I think it's much better this way.
On that note, I'd like to welcome my new sponsor, Text Link Ads. You might have seen that name floating around in the blogosphere in a few places already, and as my experience goes with them they're pretty supportive of this space and I love that. If you're a website-owner looking to make money or a business owner thinking about getting into the online-advertising space, Text Link Ads is the way to go.
If you're interested in becoming a sponsor, check out this page for the details.