Yahoo! announced today they have acquired Maven Networks, a Boston-based startup that provides video-hosting and advertising for big media sites such as Fox, CNET, and CBS Sports. NewTeeVee reports the price to be in between $160 – $170 million. TechCrunch broke the story earlier rumouring BrightCove to be the likely contender.

It’s possible Yahoo! has plans to integrate advertising inventory and technology from Maven with some of its other properties — its own video service and Jumpcut, an online video editing startup it bought shortly after the Google/YouTube deal, being two strong contenders. A demonstration of their ad network capabilities can be found on the foodnetwork.

While I can see Maven Networks fitting in nicely Yahoo!’s other properties, I must admit I am a little surprised that it’s not AOL that got away with the sale (thought, rumours say, it was a part of the bidding war.) With AOL trying to initiate their Platform-A idea, Maven would have been a great addition.

It’s safe to say that Yahoo!’s playing catchup in what seems to be their very dark days. They’ve missed the boat on almost everything that has taken place in the last few years — from search to online video to social networking — and their attempts seem half-hearted and simply unsuccessful. Though with a supposed restructuring in the works, you can’t say the same thing about their up and coming antics. Or can you?

Written by | dave

No Description or Default Description Here

Profile

9 Comments

1. Pingback: Yahoo! Acquires Marven Network For $150 Million — Largest Social Networking Blog

2. Pingback: Yahoo! Acquires Marven Network For $150 Million « OPENGIGA TECH

3. Jas Talents and Models

January 23, 2009 at 1:08 am

I guess that's the hidden message. Yahoo is trying to tell the world: Hey, I am still in business.

4. Italian Fine Dining

January 23, 2009 at 2:11 am

The acquisition is strategic move by Yahoo. I would to see Yahoo keeping Google on its toes.

5. Singapore Property

January 23, 2009 at 2:36 am

I am a loyal user of Yahoo, be it search engine, email or mybloglog, etc. Of course, I also use Google….I mean who doesn't.

6. Web Design

January 29, 2009 at 5:29 am

I guess at the end there will be only few big giants struggling for resources and users. Google is acquiring everything that comes in its way … So, yahoo needs to move fast. Microsoft has its own policy which is analyze and incorporate all the good features from others. Yahoo mail is still credible and spam is controlled, similar with yahoo groups.

7. SEO

February 1, 2009 at 9:40 pm

There is a huge market competition nowadays.. And video hosting isn’t a new idea for us as google and other sites are also offering this service.. Yahoo should have taken this step many years before to stop people diversion towards google.. But I guess now the ball is in google’s court.. Now yahoo must come up with new innovation along with implementing Maven Network, to get them at the top..

8. SEO

February 2, 2009 at 12:40 am

9. SEO

February 2, 2009 at 5:40 am

You must be logged in to post a comment Login