French video sharing site DailyMotion announced this morning its support for high definition video sharing. After Apple’s recent movie rental rehaul (and the support for high definition access for a dollar more), and Vimeo being the first video sharing site to announce its support for HD video, this is the third major video player to follow (and I can bet there will be many more coming.)

Technically, the way that this works is that any video that is encoded in high-definition and uploaded to DailyMotion is automatically reincoded by DailyMotion into 720P HD. Users can then view it in HD, or if the bandwidth doesn’t allow smooth playback for them, switch back to regular video — something DailyMotion alerts the viewer if that’s the case.

A personal belief of mine is that the future isn’t with HD-DVD or Bluray, but with HD itself — delivered over the Internet, and accessed in various ways (TV, mobile, web, software, etc.) And it seems that, with the series of announcements we’ve had over the last couple months, this belief may not be far off. If the Apple TV-Movie Rentals isn’t an indicator of consumer adoption in such a future, I think there will be more to come.

An important key factor that shouldn’t be overlooked is obviously, bandwidth. If we are to ditch our cable subscriptions and carry solely an Apple TV for our TV shows and movies, we better be able to watch a piece of content without having to wait 10 hours for it to download. And while this varies by country, I still think we have a few years left to go till we are able to get to that level.

In the end, I think any step we take towards high definition — be it DailyMotion, Vimeo, or iTunes — is a step in the right direction. We might not get there in 5 years or even a decade, but if all we’re allowed to deal with is pixelated YouTube videos, then it’s posible we’ll probably never get there. And like Marshall Kirkpatrick, this leaves me to wonder when YouTube plans to do HD content. I want my HD, darn it!

Written by | dave

No Description or Default Description Here

Profile

8 Comments

1. Jas Talents and Models

January 23, 2009 at 1:28 am

High definition is the future of all motion pictures.

2. Italian Fine Dining

January 23, 2009 at 2:13 am

Great stuff, great future, great to use.

3. Singapore Property

January 23, 2009 at 2:47 am

High Definition sounds great but Daily Motion doesn't sound so great as it is.

4. Web Design

January 29, 2009 at 12:55 am

you tube already supports High quality videos. I think there must be some mechanism that transfer videos to higher resolutions. Still, i tunes is good… I think even with you tube we will get there one day… Do you think internet TV can replace cable TV we have at the moment. Though its more controllable but I'm not very pleased with the quality and the money it costs.

5. Web Design

January 29, 2009 at 3:55 am

6. Web Design

January 29, 2009 at 8:55 am

7. Anonymous

July 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

If the play of color in   2011 to brand the most out of color, then   the sub-brand of Marc   Jacobs and Marc by Marc   Jacobs must come   first, no matter the   color, style, are fresh and vibrant, people feel   very cute, Marc Jacobs   bags or Marc by Marc   Jacobs Handbags are you   like and talk   about.

8. Anonymous

July 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

You must be logged in to post a comment Login