When the first iPhones came to market in the U.S. back in June of 2007, only 270,000 were sold during the first couple of days.  It took 74 days to sell their first one millionth unit.

According to the Steve Jobs statement, “iPhone 3G had a stunning opening weekend.”  Indeed it did Steve!  With the device now selling in 21 countries, the iPhone 3G reached sales of over a million in just one weekend.

I went by my local mall over the weekend to catch a glimpse of the 3G madness first hand.  The chic looking apple employee told me there was a six hour wait at the store to get one.  This was a bit shocking to me after learning about all the activation problems that tainted the release on Friday.  Apple seems to be that friend that always seems to hurt you, and yet you are willing to keep forgiving.  The customers who actually waited for hours to get the phone, seemed to get fed up and leave the store.

The single carrier in the United States for the 3G is AT&T, which blamed the problems on Apple, saying the problems were caused by too many customers trying to access the iTunes store at once.  Did nobody at Apple see this rush of new users coming, so that perhaps they could have had their systems prepared?

Like I said in my previous post about the iPhone, I am waiting a few weeks to buy my new 3G.  I recommend to anyone thinking about purchasing this new gadget to do the same.  It would be wise to allow the phone some time to prove itself as being reliable.  Don’t be a follower with this phone, let the others deal with the inital problems and then scoop yours up after!

Written by | dave

No Description or Default Description Here

Profile

10 Comments

1. Hill

July 15, 2008 at 6:30 am

Enlightening review!

2. resurepus

July 15, 2008 at 7:10 am

I know I know I have to wait a little bit, but I want it so bad!!!

3. shey44

July 15, 2008 at 8:22 am

I agree totally with you. What’s the rush!!

4. GinaNY

July 15, 2008 at 9:23 am

You`re right Craig.
    I`m interested in 3G for sure … but I`ll wait a bit from same reasons as you.
    Great review! :-)

5. Alex8

July 15, 2008 at 2:13 pm

As recent as yesterday I still heard of 3+ hour waits between the line and activations near Miami. I am with you in that it is not worth it to waste all that time, when just waiting a few days will mean you will be able to just walk in, and 15 minutes later walk out with a brand new 3g iPhone.

I normally am of the mindset of never being an early adopter, and let the bugs and flaws be worked out before jumping in. The hype machine with this one got to me I have to admit, and I was one of those that headed to the store on launch day against my better judgment, but the insane, non-moving line thankfully brought me back to my senses and back home.

6. Cari

July 15, 2008 at 2:31 pm

I am with you, I wait till next month when the kinks are worked out.

7. Alex8

July 15, 2008 at 5:13 pm

8. Cari

July 15, 2008 at 5:31 pm

I am with you, I wait till next month when the kinks are worked out.

9. Alex8

July 15, 2008 at 10:13 pm

10. Cari

July 15, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I am with you, I wait till next month when the kinks are worked out.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login