Last year, in November, the Outlook Social Connector was launched and Microsoft entered the social networking game. At that point, LinkedIn was the only partner, but it was a good start. Rather than building a new network, ala Google’s Buzz, the Seattle Giant went for combination of existing networks to facilitate easier networking throughout.
Yesterday, Microsoft announced on their blog that the Outlook Social Connector has now stretched from LinkedIn and is including Facebook and MySpace as well. This big jump means that your Outlook box could become your new FriendFeed and directly compete with Google’s Buzz.
LinkedIn is, understandably, quite happy with this teaming with Outlook. In fact, the ad-on for the MS email app can be downloaded from LinkedIn as well. Now that all of this new MS Outlook stuff is out in the public beta phase, a lot of us are expecting more connections to be coming quickly.
The problem here, which will probably change quickly, is that the input to Outlook is only one-way. So far, the information from LinkedIn, Facebook, and MySpace is incoming-only and Outlook can’t send updates the other way. Given the API availability from these networks, however, it likely won’t take long for that to change. Another thing obviously missing is Twitter, but again, with their API and popularity, it’s likely just a matter of time there too.
The competition for Buzz is obvious and, given the Office suite’s popularity, it could become more than a contender. While part of the official Office 2010 beta, the Social Connector beta can also be used with 2003 and 2007 Office versions.
Recommended For You
- The world needs a cyberweapons treaty, says Kaspersky
- Should employers check their employees on social sites?
- Bill Gross backs Hypemarks, a startup from USC students
- Are social media websites making self-harm amongst teens worse?
- Twitter Announcement Tomorrow
- Google Engineer Voices Opinion on Google Plus – on Google Plus
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 11 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 8 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 10 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 2 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 10 years ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 2 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 2 years ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago