Newly born news distribution platform, News Exchange, made its debut on Monday and has been making waves since. The company behind News Exchange, Publish2 is hoping to challenge Associated Press (AP) with their new platform. Even though AP is a not-for-profit organisation, it is reported to generate revenue of almost $700m, and News Exchange wants a slice of the cake by making an “…AP for the 21st Century…”
Publish2 has engineered a collaborative journalism network where free and paid-for content is distributed to subscribers who can publish free or purchased content via their respective media channels, be it print or online. Squarely aimed at news providers and publishers, Publish2 has signed several new media publishers including Mashable, engadget and TechCrunch to feed the co-operative. This should enable content normally limited to an online audience to be distributed via other more traditional media.
Currently in beta, News Exchange has a limited feature set but Publish2 is using the $2.75 million dollars it raised during it’s initial funding round to implement additional features. Upcoming features include analytics which would allow publishers to quantify views and other important metrics as well as a fully featured tagging system.
A particularly interesting feature is the News Exchange marketplace. Providers could set their own prices and business models for news buyers allowing pay-as-you-go or unlimited access fees.
There’s a big hill to climb in terms of recruiting enough content providers to attain some momentum but as a finalist in TechCrunch’s Disrupt competition, News Exchange looks set to give AP a run for its money.
Recommended For You
- Japanese Government Launches English Language Twitter Account Detailing Earthquake Updates
- Is MySpace Heading Back to the Big Time?
- Social media is a good source of information for parents
- Social media becoming more important in politics
- Reddit Admirers Claim The Site Receives High Traffic
- Dozens of New Apps Coming to Facebook
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 11 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 8 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 10 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 2 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 10 years ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 2 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 2 years ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago