According to a survey recently undertaken by Gartner, a firm specialising in technology research, we are not as keen as we used to be.
6,295 people took part in the survey, which was held in December 2010 through to January 2011. Their ages ranged from 13 to 74, so they represented a good proportion of the social media market.
Of these people, 24 per cent stated that they no longer used their top social media site as much as they did initially. However, in direct contrast with this figure, the survey also found that more people – around 37 per cent in total – used their favourite sites more frequently now than they did in the past.
Customer opinions on the topic of privacy – something that traditionally rears its ugly head when social media is being talks about – also popped up during the survey. In general, around a third of those who took part pointed to privacy concerns as the reason why they were using the sites less. However, the figure was lower in the younger age group of teenagers, where just 22 per cent voiced their concerns over the issue.
Perhaps the biggest issue revealed by the survey is whether the percentage of people who are becoming disinterested with social media is going to increase over time. There is no way to tell this of course, but it will be interesting to monitor future survey results to see if the percentage goes up. The fact that a larger percentage uses the sites more frequently is encouraging, at least.
Recommended For You
- Social media use doubles in rural India
- Kommons to Question Public Figures
- Japanese Government Launches English Language Twitter Account Detailing Earthquake Updates
- Study: Mothers with young children more active on social media
- Sponsored Stories are Coming Soon to Facebook
- Facebook Finally Changes its Privacy Stance
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 12 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 12 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 11 years ago
- Google’s OpenSocial to Debut Thursday, APIs for All 11 years ago
- Stormpulse Works In The Clouds 10 years ago
- Opinion/Analysis: Books? What Books? 11 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 3 years ago