Walmart now owns the birthday and holiday reminder app Social Calendar, one of the most-used apps on Facebook. As the king of Big Box Stores positions itself to be King of e-Commerce as well, this latest acquisition speaks of some of the ways Walmart plans to take over the Web.
With birthday and holiday reminders being sent via FB message, email, SMS, and more through Social Calendar, it’s not hard to imagine how Walmart can capitalize on that to promote e-products and other items for gifting or fun related to those reminders.
For now, Walmart is leaving Social Calendar’s business and operations intact, but it will only be a short amount of time before they start stepping in and making changes. With over 15 million installed users and more than 400,000 monthly active users, it’s a potential online marketing bonanza.
With the recent launch of Shopycat by Walmart on Facebook, a simple tie-in would be obvious. With Shopycat’s ability to sell products without the user moving away from FB, it’s a great platform for social e-commerce and one that would tie in beautifully with Calendar.
Whatever their plans, Walmart obviously is on the fast track to vie for top dog in e-commerce with Amazon and the other giants online.
Recommended For You
- Interactive Advertising Bureau, ComScore shows online advertising on solid foot
- Facebook, Twitter photos and comments can form a digital scrapbook
- Study finds Facebook can alleviate stress
- Facebook Ranks as Most Downloaded Free App at Apple
- Can Facebook help couples stay together?
- AOL Tries To Catch Up
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 12 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 12 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 11 years ago
- Google’s OpenSocial to Debut Thursday, APIs for All 11 years ago
- Stormpulse Works In The Clouds 10 years ago
- Opinion/Analysis: Books? What Books? 11 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 3 years ago