After a rise of almost 300 per cent in complaints made to the Advertising Standards Authority, the internet is poised to overtake TV for the first time as the most complained about ad medium in Britain. In total, there were over 10,000 complaints made to the ad regulator in 2011.
Responsible for investigating complaints about advertising made by consumers, the Advertising Standards Agency, stated that there had been a 25 per cent rise in complaints overall on a year on year basis across all mediums. It is the internet, however, that is leading the way after figures showed that complaints about television advertising actually fell leaving the two mediums almost level in terms of the number of complaints. It is believed that the rise in complaints is down due in part to a change in the Advertising Standards Agency’s remit, allowing it to investigate ads placed on the owner’s website as well as to investigate claims made by soft drinks manufacturers and food brands.
The figures revealed that the number of advertising campaigns that had to be changed or abandoned doubled in the last year to 4,591 while the number of ads that were complained about soared to 22,397. The industry with the most ads complained about was the travel industry where the number of complaints received in 2011 doubled when compared to the previous year, while the retail industry saw 98 per cent rise in the number of ads that generated complaints.
Recommended For You
- Google goes full Loon, introduces balloon-powered Internet access
- All will have internet access by 2020: Eric Schmidt
- Internet Advertising Reaches $26 Billion in the US in 2010
- Is the internet making us more forgetful?
- US to globalise internet, but there is a catch
- UK web surfers prefer smartphones to laptops
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 13 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 12 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 12 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 12 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 12 years ago
- Exclusive: Facebook to Offer Data Storage 12 years ago
- Issuu: Turn Your PDF Into a Flipbook 11 years ago
- Bebo: An In-Depth Look 12 years ago
- Google’s OpenSocial to Debut Thursday, APIs for All 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 10 years ago