Randi Zuckerberg, the former Marketing Director at Facebook and sister of Mark Zuckerberg, believes that while some social networks “come and go,” Facebook has lasting appeal.
Her reason is that the “Social Network” had tapped into a human need, such as sharing photos and connecting with people, they have lost touch with — things that are very important to us.
Although there had been much scepticism about Facebook’s market value since it went public in May, she revealed that the company is capable of generating sufficient revenue to sustain its $74 billion market capitalization.
She also noted that a lot of effort is needed to get into regions such as China, India, and Brazil.
Aside from expanding into growing economies, Facebook also needs to put much focus on its mobile service, added the 30-year old entrepreneur.
While almost 50 per cent of Facebook users access the social network through mobile devices, such as tablet computers or smartphones, this platform does not offer the same advertising or revenue as the core website.
“Fifty percent of people who log on to Facebook now are doing it from their mobile and you just can’t afford as a business to lose all that revenue.”
Furthermore, she said that Facebook will undergo the same growth pains experienced by other tech giants such as Google and Microsoft — who tried doing everything from maps, emails, and even their own social network.
“When you try to do everything well you end up doing nothing well. I think Facebook will encounter the same problems, as they want to be everything to everyone.”
Recommended For You
- Facebook Arguing To Keep User Data Private
- Are Games the Niche Area That Makes Google+ Successful?
- Social Commerce Reaches a New Level Thanks to Facebook and eBay
- Sponsored Stories are Coming Soon to Facebook
- Over Half of Parents are Using Facebook to Find Out What Their Children are Doing
- Yahoo! and Facebook in search talks
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 9 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 10 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 10 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 7 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 1 year ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 1 year ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 8 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 1 year ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 9 years ago