A large number of parents in the US believe that the benefits gained by their children’s use of social media outweigh or offset any perceived risks, according to a national survey by the Children’s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.
Despite concerns about cyber bullying and child molesters, 83 per cent of the respondents said the use of social media is important for the success of their children as it fosters learning and encourages collaboration.
More than half of the 728 parents polled said that social media made their kids more open-minded.
However, nearly 40 per cent of the parents surveyed are worried that the use of social media could lead to behavioural problems such as social isolation. Additionally, roughly 40 per cent opined that the online activity could negatively affect the real-life social skills of their kids, such as their ability to make friends.
Ed Christophersen, Child Psychologist at Children’s Mercy Hospitals, explained that although children’s exposure to social media has lots of benefits, giving kids unsupervised and unlimited access to the internet could lead to problems.
Law enforcement officials agree. Gary Mason, Police Spokesman at Overland Park, Kansas, commented that parents have the right to demand their children’s passwords at social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter so that they can supervise and safeguard their kids from inappropriate content.
Additionally, 71 per cent of the parents surveyed stated that 13 is the right age to let their kids use social media. Fittingly, Facebook prohibits children younger than 13 from signing up. However, there are many cases where children have lied about their age in order to open an account.
1pc ARBOR PIA-666 Motherboard
1PC used INVT high-power motherboard CEV03MC 1170C V02
Delta 602191-103 Mother Board
1pc Fanuc Motherboard Mother Board A20B-0008-0410 A20B-0008-041
1pc MX150-4 Yokogawa mother board
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 9 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 10 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 10 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 7 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 1 year ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 1 year ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 8 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 1 year ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 9 years ago