Social media networks have gained interest from users of all ages in South Africa as the golden generation has become the fastest growing age group on these sites, according to this year’s South African Social Media Landscape research.
Conducted by information analyst Fuseware and World Wide Worx, the study revealed that the number of users aged 60 and above on Facebook soared by 44 per cent. This group had the highest growth rate, compared to ten per cent for teenagers, about 20 among those aged 19 to 30, and around 30 per cent for the 30 to 60 age group.
This signifies that Facebook is becoming very popular in South Africa’s older generation, said Arthur Goldstuck, Managing Director at World Wide Worx.
Although there is still some room for improvement within the younger age groups, the growth rate of social media users from these age brackets is not as fast as before, noted Goldstuck.
By the end of August this year, 2.43 million South Africans were members of Twitter, 5.33 million were on Facebook and 9.35 million were using Mxit, Africa’s biggest mobile social platform.
However, the actual number of users among different age groups on Facebook is substantially understated as it does not include mobile-only users. Moreover, research conducted by World Wide Worx found that around seven million people use Facebook on their mobile phones.
Meanwhile, the number of South Africans using Twitter has increased to 2.2 million as of June 2012, which equates to around 100,000 new users each month since August 2011. By the end of August, its registered base had increased to 2.4 million.
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 9 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 10 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 10 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 7 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 1 year ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 1 year ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 8 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 1 year ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 9 years ago