Apart from being a medium that bridges companies to their customers, social media networks are considered lucrative marketing platforms due to their gigantic user base, according to a report in the Financial Times.
As of June 2012, Facebook has 995 million active users and Twitter has around 500 million. Google’s YouTube gets 800 million visitors each month watching four billion hours of video, while Chinese social media site Renren claims to have 157 million active accounts.
Social media is a vital and powerful online tool that provides a potent avenue to spread messages and respond to them in a real-time nature. It is also a means of getting in touch with friends to share photos and information.
More importantly, these networks are also economical. A typical Facebook page is free even for large companies. Businesses are also discovering that social media is not just a viable alternative to a standard webpage; their services also provide an abundant source of information on how products or brands are perceived.
If utilised effectively, social media is a boon to companies because they provide a means to create and follow groups of clients, suppliers, or “influencers” who might be useful to the brand. These networks can also facilitate business operations such as human resource management (HRM), similar to the business social network LinkedIn.
However, spending money on such networks may not always deliver desired results. For example, General Motors axed its $10 million (£6.18 million) advertising deal with Facebook due to insufficient returns. On the contrary, Ford has enjoyed many successful advertising runs, especially for the Fiesta.
Recommended For You
- Pinterest – the Latest Social Media Site
- Mumbai Police to use social media to fight financial scams
- Reddit Admirers Claim The Site Receives High Traffic
- Social media becoming more relevant to investors
- Dozens of New Apps Coming to Facebook
- New Law in Missouri Bans Teachers from ‘Friending’ Their Pupils
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 9 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 10 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 10 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 7 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 1 year ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 1 year ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 8 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 1 year ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 9 years ago