Rumours about a bug in Facebook that supposedly allowed private messages to show up publicly on Timeline pages has caused some users to worry. However, the company immediately discredited the claims, explaining that the messages were in fact older wall posts.
Reports in French media, including the ones from Le Nouvel Observateur and Metro France, claimed that private messages sent by Facebook members in the past years have been surfacing in public posts. Even some users from the US have claimed that their private messages from several years ago are popping up in their Timeline.
According to Facebook, they haven’t found a bug and the company believes this discrepancy is attributed to the launch of the Timeline layout on a worldwide scale.
The company pointed out that if users can like or comment on a message, that’s not a private message, but a wall post. Hence, the company believes that users new to the Timeline might have been confused between the old posts and their private messages.
Facebook’s computer engineers have investigated the allegations and confirmed that the supposed breach of privacy involved older wall posts, which can always be seen on the member’s profile page.
However, when asked about the possibility of a bug, Facebook representatives acknowledged that it’s not a technical impossibility. Nonetheless, the company has an entire team at its disposal to address and fix bugs and other issues that arise with the service.
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 9 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 10 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 10 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 7 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 1 year ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 1 year ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 8 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 1 year ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 9 years ago