In today’s digital society, people, especially the younger generations, often share more over social media than they should, according to Lane Sutton, a 15-year-old social media coach and entrepreneur.
According to the “State of the Net” report, a staggering 52 per cent of social media users disseminate risky information online. Only 20 per cent of teens change their privacy settings to make sure that their content can only be viewed by friends, reported McAfee.
For teens, the issue with over-sharing is not just limited to the act itself but also its subsequent effect. For example, a 17-year-old who posted pictures of money was later robbed, while a waitress was fired for complaining via Facebook about a couple who only left a US$5 tip despite occupying a table for three hours.
Although sharing online makes it easier for people to remember and enjoy photos, memories, and other important things, sharing could also lead to problems like those encountered by the teens mentioned above.
To avoid giving away a dangerous amount of information, you should only share with real friends. If you want to share something personal, do it in person and talk about it with people you trust. Moreover, don’t blurt out something online that you would never say in real life.
Second, disable location services on applications in your smartphone so that unscrupulous individuals can’t track you down. Bear in mind that some apps such as Girls Around Me and WeKnowWhatYou’reDoing facilitate stalking by gathering information on online users who have enabled their location services.
Recommended For You
- Mumbai Police to use social media to fight financial scams
- Facebook and Yahoo May Be Burying the Patent Hatchet
- Reform Government Surveillance coalition created by Facebook, Google, others
- Golden generation dominates social media in South Africa
- Does your Mum know what you’re posting?
- Facebook researchers unveil new facial recognition technology
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 13 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 12 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 12 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 12 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 12 years ago
- Exclusive: Facebook to Offer Data Storage 12 years ago
- Issuu: Turn Your PDF Into a Flipbook 11 years ago
- Bebo: An In-Depth Look 12 years ago
- Google’s OpenSocial to Debut Thursday, APIs for All 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 10 years ago