In today’s digital society, people, especially the younger generations, often share more over social media than they should, according to Lane Sutton, a 15-year-old social media coach and entrepreneur.
According to the “State of the Net” report, a staggering 52 per cent of social media users disseminate risky information online. Only 20 per cent of teens change their privacy settings to make sure that their content can only be viewed by friends, reported McAfee.
For teens, the issue with over-sharing is not just limited to the act itself but also its subsequent effect. For example, a 17-year-old who posted pictures of money was later robbed, while a waitress was fired for complaining via Facebook about a couple who only left a US$5 tip despite occupying a table for three hours.
Although sharing online makes it easier for people to remember and enjoy photos, memories, and other important things, sharing could also lead to problems like those encountered by the teens mentioned above.
To avoid giving away a dangerous amount of information, you should only share with real friends. If you want to share something personal, do it in person and talk about it with people you trust. Moreover, don’t blurt out something online that you would never say in real life.
Second, disable location services on applications in your smartphone so that unscrupulous individuals can’t track you down. Bear in mind that some apps such as Girls Around Me and WeKnowWhatYou’reDoing facilitate stalking by gathering information on online users who have enabled their location services.
Recommended For You
- Starbucks offer rewards for Foursquare check-ins
- Facebook: Where friends could mean stress
- Facebook Tightens Security With New Features
- What does social media have to do with divorce?
- Infomatic app consolidates your social media activity
- More Bad News for Facebook as Pornographic Content Swarms Over User Profiles
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 11 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 8 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 10 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 2 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 10 years ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 2 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 2 years ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 10 years ago