The UK boasts the biggest proportion of social media users in the world, according to a report by The Pew Center. The study is part of the Global Attitudes Project and specifically covers social networks as well as mobile and internet usage.
A little over half of 52 per cent of the adult population in the UK uses social media sites such as YouTube, Twitter and Facebook, placing it at the top of the list. Russia and the US both came in second with 50 per cent, while Spain and the Czech Republic are tied in third place with 49 per cent.
The study also pointed out that social media usage is directly proportional to the availability of internet. For example, 94 per cent of the respondents from Pakistan and 89 per cent from India had no internet access. Therefore, it was not surprising that only three per cent and six per cent of all the adults in Pakistan and India, respectively, use these sites. Notably, only 15 per cent of the respondents from the UK had zero Internet access.
Interestingly, Russia deviates from this correlation. While 40 per cent of Russians had no internet access, 50 per cent of the respondents use social media. This is because its residents spend a lot of time surfing the net and the Russian Federation is one of the largest internet-using countries in Europe.
Furthermore, residents of countries with low broadband penetration rely on smartphones and mobile devices to access social media. Out of the 12 nations surveyed, Pew discovered that 60 per cent of smartphone users utilised their mobile devices to access these sites. The top three countries showing this trend are Egypt (79 per cent), Mexico (74 per cent) and Greece (72 per cent).
Megaphone Pmp50 Pyle Pro Sports Piezo Dynamic Siren Bullhorn 50 Watt Amplify
1 Pcs New FESTO HEE-D-MINI-24 172956
1pcs New Schneider Motor Circult Breaker GV2-ME04C
1pcs New Schneider GV2-ME06C 1-1.6A Breaker
1pcs New FESTO CAMC-G-S1 1501330
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 9 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 10 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 10 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 7 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 1 year ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 1 year ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 8 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 1 year ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 9 years ago