A recent trend has emerged in social media wherein teenage girls take photos posted by their peers on social networks and mock them, making unkind comments about their choice of clothing and general appearance. This new type of “teen shaming” is growing in popularity and many teens are suffering from hurt feelings as a result.
Across social media networks such as Twitter and Facebook, pages such as “Hey Girls, Did You Know?” feature silly pictures with rude captions that have been imitated by other girls.
17-year-old Alley Guscott told ABC News that girls post their own pictures and then other females repost the photos to make fun of the original poster. According to experts, this behaviour is categorised as a new form of cyber bullying and they target certain teens who are well aware of the derision.
Dr. Logan Levkoff, a sexuality educator, feels that teenagers will continue to use technology to ridicule others anonymously unless parents intervene. To prevent this, the teens’ parents and friends should monitor their activity and tell them that it is harmful to make fun of others.
This form of teen shaming also reveals the insecurities of the perpetrators, according to 16-year-old Sarah Mays: “It’s likely that those teens are presently dealing with their own insecurities, that’s why they deride others,” she said.
Interestingly, although this new form of cyber teasing is still prevalent, countermeasures have also emerged. For example, instead of ridiculing the photos, some teens post messages of support, telling others that they are beautiful and should ignore those who say otherwise.
Recommended For You
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 9 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 10 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 10 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 7 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 1 year ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 1 year ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 8 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 1 year ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 9 years ago