Some people say beauty is only skin deep, but on the internet, people sometimes feel judged based on the photos and videos they post and share. Consequently, some people are left feeling insecure about their looks because of the internet, with some even going under the knife just to fit the social media standards.
A new report by the American Academy of Facial and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) reveals that social media activity has been a main factor for many patients who requested plastic surgery. In fact, the number of these cases increased by 31 per cent, implying that more and more users want to change their physical appearance to look better on social media.
“We live in a very visual world, and have come to expect that we will be ‘Googled’ or ‘Facebooked’ even before actually meeting someone socially or professionally,” noted Dr Sam Rizk, member of AAFPRS and director of Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgery in New York.
“I see a lot of men and women who are executives or high profile so they are in the public eye. Their photos get taken all the time and they never know where they may end up.”
According to the study, which polled 752 of the AAFPRS’ board-certified facial plastic surgeons, there were more cosmetic plastic surgery cases than reconstructive procedures. The number of cosmetic surgeries increased to 73 per cent, with the most popular procedures including Botox, facelifts and rhinoplasty. This is a marked increase from the figure of 62 per cent noted in 2011.
“Whether you think it is harmful or not, it is a trend and I don’t think we will see it slowing down anytime soon,” noted Rizk.
Recommended For You
- Sponsored Stories are Coming Soon to Facebook
- New Law in Missouri Bans Teachers from ‘Friending’ Their Pupils
- Police use social media to dispel rumours, fight crimes
- Three reasons why you should pull the plug on social media
- An app for the antisocial
- Can social media cause Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 12 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 12 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 11 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 3 years ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 3 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 3 years ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 9 years ago