Social media has shaken up almost all facets of people’s daily lives, so it comes as no surprise that the corporate world is also banking on the trend.
A set of surveys among 290 organisations found that over 50 per cent of employers use social networks and instant messaging, among other tools, to build a sense of community among employees.
Companies from across Asia, North America and Europe used instant messaging most often in internal communication, with a huge 77 per cent taking part in the trend. Streaming audio and video were utilised by 61 per cent of respondents.
Conducted by professional services firm Towers Watson, the study also listed SMS messaging, human resources or employee blogs, mobile apps, enhanced online employee profiles, and social networks as the other tools used by the companies.
Towers Watson’s Global Leader of Communication Consulting, Kathryn Yates, said: “We believe that social media can be a great tool for communicating with employees in the workplace. By its nature, social media is designed to build community and could help engage employees on key topics such as performance, collaboration, culture and values.”
However, these tools are not necessarily effective. In fact, less than 50 per cent of those polled declared that social media tools were effective, with only 40 per cent considering them to be cost effective.
This does not discount the huge potential for social media in the coming days, months and years, especially as more companies use remote workers who will be better served by the communication tools.
Recommended For You
- Can social media cause Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?
- Japanese Government Launches English Language Twitter Account Detailing Earthquake Updates
- Social Media Marketing Set to Expand in 2012
- Eventbrite Gets Cosier With Facebook
- Whiz kid: Avoid oversharing in social media
- More parents becoming social media savvy
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 11 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 8 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 10 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 2 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 10 years ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 2 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 2 years ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago