English teacher Jennifer Woollven still finds some Twitter speak in her pupils’ papers such as “ur” and “FWIW”, which stand for “your” and “for what it’s worth”. However, she noticed that her students are putting more effort into writing papers, especially if they know their work will be shared on social media sites.
“As an English teacher who is trying to improve student writing, one thing I see is that people are seeing greater ownership of their writing when they know it will be seen beyond the class and the teacher,” said Woollven.
Moreover, most of her tenth grade pupils post their writings such as essays, poems and other creative pieces on blogs.
Interestingly, a recently released study by the Pew Research Center revealed that more than three quarters (78 per cent) of high school teachers believe that social media has boosted student creativity and writing capability.
In addition, 96 per cent of the respondents concur that these sites enable students to share their written works with a wider audience.
38-year-old Joel Malley also saw the same thing in his English classes with ninth and twelfth graders in Cheektowaga High School in upstate New York.
Malley said that his pupils’ storytelling projects, which comprise blog posts and documentary videos, foster creativity because the students know that their work will not just sit idly in a closet but instead will be read by many people.
Likewise, middle and high school teachers who took part in the study noted that social media increased their students’ creativity, added Kristen Purcell, Research Director at Pew’s Internet and American Life Project.
Recommended For You
- Social media is making our lives worse, according to Chinese report
- New Law in Missouri Bans Teachers from ‘Friending’ Their Pupils
- Social media, smartphones threaten online news providers
- Adults also hooked on social media
- Pupils, parents use social media to abuse teachers
- The unSocial Social Media and South Florida Bloggers
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 11 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 8 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 10 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 2 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 10 years ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 2 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 2 years ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago