The assumption that social media is only for the young is not necessarily true. In fact, more adults are apparently becoming hooked on social media.
A survey conducted by Pew Research Center revealed that 72 per cent of adults in the US have social networking accounts. The figure from the latest May 2013 survey was around five per cent higher than the 67 per cent noted in the previous survey in December 2012.
People aged 18 to 29 were the most active users, with 89 per cent of respondents in this age group using social media. 78 per cent of those in the 30 to 49-year-old age bracket use social media, and a strong 60 per cent usage was noted in the age group of 50 to 64.
People aged 65 years and older continue to increase their interest in social media with a 43 per cent usage rate.
The survey was based on phone interviews involving a total of 2,252 adults aged 18 years and older from 17 April to 19 May. Overall, the May 2013 results reflect growing social media usage across most of the age groups, which had a slight dip in December.
Twitter emerged as a rising social media platform in the latest survey, with usage up from eight per cent in November 2010 to 18 per cent in May. No more than a fifth of Twitter users were 50 and older, the Pew Research Center study found.
Recommended For You
- Kleiner Perkins Puts up $250m for Social Startups
- Social media helped raise awareness of nephrology
- Can social media help people to quit smoking?
- Social Media Campaigns Receive 100% Response Rates
- Social TV becoming a hit
- Japanese Government Launches English Language Twitter Account Detailing Earthquake Updates
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 8 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 9 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 9 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 6 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 5 months ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 3 months ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 7 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 4 months ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 8 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 9 years ago