A new study has shown that gangs are now using social media to recruit members, according to reports in the media.
Conducted by the National University of Singapore (NUS), the research is the first to study the impact that social media has on high-risk youth. It covered 36 juvenile delinquents who are between 15 and 18 years of age with criminal records including robbery, theft, drugs and rioting.
The study found that these young people socialised with friends who are connected to gangs via platforms such as Facebook.
One 17-year-old revealed that he was recruited via online interactions with certain gang members, saying: “The more frequently we talk, as you get closer, you get recruited into the gang.”
Associate Professor Lim Sun Sun from the NUS Department of Communications and New Media said: “For youths at risk, one important issue is that if they engage in unstructured, unsupervised socialising with their peers, the tendency for them to then engage in acts of delinquency is higher.”
Aside from recruiting members, social media is also being used for posturing.
Some of the respondents said they belong to certain groups that use Facebook to project gang identities. This is achieved by including the same suffix or prefix to their profile names or by adding the secret code, logo or gang name in their profile information.
The study also found that social media might also provide a route to recidivism. This occurs as many high-risk youth find it difficult to “unfriend” their old peers.
Dr Lim noted that those who want to start anew could create a new online existence to put “their delinquent past behind them.”
SMC VQ1400N-5 Solenoid Valve
NEW SPORLAN SOLENOID VALVE E6S130 LESS COIL 3/8" #371
SMC Solenoid Valve VX021-002CB-03 (Lot of 4)
Parker Distributor Solenoid F51VXBGC023A
Parker Pneumatic Solenoid Valve 1/4" NPT F3662BGC23A
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 10 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 10 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 8 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 2 years ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 1 year ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 8 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 2 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 10 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 10 years ago