Before today, if you closed a tab on a Facebook post, it would have been lost forever; there was no way of searching for it.
Facebook updated its search on Monday to let users find older posts.
“Search at Facebook is a long-term effort,” Tom Stocky, the company’s VP of search, wrote in a blog post announcing the update. “Today is a step toward helping you tap into the experiences and perspectives of your friends.”
Previously, typing “Hawaii” into Facebook’s search box would only yield pages and apps related to Hawaii. But now, the search results page will also display all the posts you have previously viewed that contain the word “Hawaii.”
The update has been a long time coming; Facebook has been testing it on a small subset of users since September 2013.
The company added that searching for old posts was the “most important thing” to users who have tested Graph Search.
The company added that searching for old posts was the “most important thing” to users who have tested Graph Search. Not being able to find a post that your friend posted a few days ago can prove frustrating.
The search results are personalized for each user, so you can’t search for all posts on Facebook — only the ones that have been shared with you.
The update will gradually roll out in the U.S. on both iPhone and desktop versions of Facebook.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
Recommended For You
- More people turn to social media for news
- Users warned to keep Facebook details safe
- Number of Internet of Things devices exceeds number of humans on the planet
- UK web surfers prefer smartphones to laptops
- The Retro P300: A Light-Swallowing, 1080p-Shooting Pocket Monster
- Install Windows 10 the easy way
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 9 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 10 years ago
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 10 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 7 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 1 year ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 1 year ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 8 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 1 year ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 9 years ago