Social media use has doubled in the past year in rural India, with 25 million people accessing Facebook and Twitter, a recent report released by IAMAI and IMRB International has shown. Currently, there are 143 million social media users across India. According to the report, India’s urban areas now have 18 million social media users, whilst rural areas have 25 million, which is double the amount of users last year.
“Accessing social media is one of the key reasons for people to access the internet. In fact, for many people accessing the internet for the first time, social media was the reason they embraced internet,” the report stated.
Facebook was found to be the most popular social networking website in India, with 96% of people in urban areas using it. Google Plus came in second with 61%, followed by Twitter with 43% and business social networking website LinkedIn with 24%. Social media websites were found to be the most popular with college students and young males.
“Almost half the urban social media users hail from the top four metros,” the report said. “College students and young men still form 60 per cent of social media users in urban India.”
The report also stated that more people are accessing social media websites through devices such as smartphones and tablets, which the report stated was a “promising sign.” It showed that 61 per cent of users access a social networking website via a mobile device.
“The fact that almost two thirds of the users are already accessing social media through their mobile is a promising sign. With the expected increase in mobile traffic the number of users accessing social media on the mobile is only bound to increase,” the report said.
The study also found that updating profiles and statuses were among some of the most popular activities on social networking websites. Visiting blog websites was also found to be popular with social media users.
“Commenting on a blog site is the third most popular activity among users in social networking sites,” the report said.
Recommended For You
- Social media: optimizing a campaign
- Are Games the Niche Area That Makes Google+ Successful?
- Golden generation dominates social media in South Africa
- Twitter is the Social Network of Choice When You Want to Moan About Facebook
- Social Media Campaigns Receive 100% Response Rates
- Facebook unveils mobile game platform
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 12 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 12 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 11 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 3 years ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 3 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 3 years ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 9 years ago