A new ‘sin-free’ version of Facebook has been created by Brazilian Evangelicals. The website, called ‘Facegloria’, operates the same way as the original Facebook, but without any “like” option or offensive posts. The site so far has 100,000 users.
Atilla Barros, one of Facegloria’s founders, said: “On Facebook you see a lot of violence and pornography. That’s why we thought of creating a network where we could talk about God, love and to spread His word.”
The idea was first formed three years ago, when Mr Barros decided, along with three other Christian colleagues, to create a version of Facebook without any offensive comments or videos. With a large percentage of Brazil’s population thought to be evangelicals, the site is likely to be a success.
Anyone can become a user of Facegloria, but must follow the website’s strict rules, which include no swearing or violent content. There is even a list of words that members are banned from using.
“We want to be morally and technically better than Facebook. We want all Brazilian Evangelicals to shift to Facegloria,” said Mr Barros.
In order to prevent offensive content from being posted, the website has over 20 volunteers who monitor posts and decide which ones should be removed based on their content. Posts that risk being removed include bikini shots and photos of alcohol or tobacco. One volunteer spends six hours a day working on the website in addition to working on his own day job.
Mr Barros said that he expects Facegloria to become Brazil’s “go-to site” and hopes that it will attract millions of users.
“In two years we hope to get to 10 million users in Brazil. In a month we have had 100,000 and in two we are expecting a big increase thanks to a mobile phone app,” he said.
Acir dos Santos, the mayor of Ferraz de Vasconcelos, commented on the new website, stating: “Our network is global. We have bought the Faceglory domaine in English and in all possible languages. We want to take on Facebook and Twitter here and everywhere.”
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 13 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 13 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 12 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 12 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 12 years ago
- Exclusive: Facebook to Offer Data Storage 12 years ago
- Issuu: Turn Your PDF Into a Flipbook 11 years ago
- Bebo: An In-Depth Look 12 years ago
- Google’s OpenSocial to Debut Thursday, APIs for All 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 10 years ago