The latest rumours suggest that Facebook is developing its own digital assistant that will be a direct rival to Apple’s Siri and Microsoft’s Cortana.
Moneypenny is the name of James Bond’s trusted assistant, and sources say that Facebook’s version will be aimed at helping users search for and order products and services.
Testing already under way
Internal testing is currently taking place within the company, and the final result is expected to be integrated into the social network’s Facebook Messenger system.
Digital assistants from rivals such as Apple’s Siri, Microsoft’s Cortana, and Google Now are built into their products and services.
Expectations and uncertainties
At this early point in development, many factors remain unclear. It is not known whether Facebook will take a commission from any purchases made using Moneypenny, nor is it certain that the project will come to fruition in its current form.
This isn’t the only front on which Facebook is aiming to directly compete with rival companies; it has two music-based projects that are much closer to launch.
One upcoming project is an audio streaming service that will rival Apple Music and Spotify. Insiders claim it is already nearing completion. The other project is a music video service similar to YouTube that is almost ready to go live.
According to Music Ally, the video streaming platform will pay artists for their content using funds derived from advertising revenue.
Each of these developments will likely have major impacts on arrival due to the huge user base that Facebook boasts.
Recommended For You
- Infomatic app consolidates your social media activity
- Facebook to become news app?
- Facebook: The login of choice for most users
- Over Half of Parents are Using Facebook to Find Out What Their Children are Doing
- Facebook launches legacy contact in Australia
- Social media becoming more important in politics
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 12 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 12 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 11 years ago
- Google’s OpenSocial to Debut Thursday, APIs for All 11 years ago
- Stormpulse Works In The Clouds 10 years ago
- Opinion/Analysis: Books? What Books? 11 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 3 years ago