A Facebook app that enabled users to find out which friends had deleted them has been discontinued after the social networking website requested that the developer take it down. Who Deleted Me was available as a Google Chrome extension and as an app for Android and iOS. It could previously be downloaded to a PC or mobile phone and used in conjunction with a Facebook account, but is now unavailable on any platform.
After downloading Who Deleted Me, users could find out whether or not a friend had deleted them by logging into their Facebook account and then visiting the app afterwards. Upon visiting the app, users would be informed as to who had unfriended them.
The program worked by comparing a previously saved friends list with a current one. Users could save their friends list by logging into their Facebook account. Who Deleted Me then created a list of the user’s friends and compared that list to the current friend list when the user next logged in, showing which friends had since disappeared from the list.
Despite only being available a few days, the app quickly grew in popularity. Anthony Kuske, the developer of the app, stated that Who Deleted Me was intended to enhance users’ Facebook experience.
“Unfortunately, due to a request by Facebook, Who Deleted Me is no longer available on any platform,” he said in a statement.
“Who Deleted Me was intended to be a useful tool to enhance users’ Facebook experience, but Facebook did not see it the same way.
“Never did I expect it would achieve the level of popularity it did over the last week, from being mentioned all over the media to being number 1 in the iOS App Store. Thank you to everybody who installed it and for your patience while the servers were improved to handle all the traffic. The level of traffic took me by surprise and I worked non stop to get it back online so everybody could enjoy it. By Thursday it was working well for everybody so I hope you had a chance to use it before now.”
- 33 Places to Hangout in the Social Networking Era 11 years ago
- YouTube – The Complete Profile 11 years ago
- SimilarSites.com Find, Well, Similar Sites 8 years ago
- Top 25 Web Apps for iPhone 10 years ago
- Study reveals best time to receive maximum likes and comments on Facebook 2 years ago
- 9 Great Ways to Make Mind Maps and Flow Charts Online 10 years ago
- Periscope attracts 10 million users in its first few months 2 years ago
- Google offers free coding lessons for UK children this summer 2 years ago
- Storytlr Put Your Story Online Web 2.0 Style 9 years ago
- 10 Most Successful Web 2.0 Startups To Date 11 years ago